We have moved!

We have moved!

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Le Steak Part II


**This visit was in April and some items may not be available anymore apparently**

The funny thing about my first visit to Le Steak was that I didn't have any steak!
I had the Braised Short Rib which was so-so and the Lemon Curd Tart which I really enjoyed.
But hey, when you go to a place called Le Steak, you gotta have steak am I right?

So I returned with the a whole gang of meat eaters (aka my family) for the 2nd round and to see if all the hype was well deserved or not.

Mushroom Soup ($4.00)

The Mushroom Soup was actually pretty good! Nice and hearty flavour. Definitely the type that you mushroom lovers will enjoy. You can see from the picture that it's nice and thick so none of that watery stuff here.

But after all, we are here for the meat so let's get it on!

So at Le Steak, the have 2 different categories of steak you can choose from.
One is the 'Le Steak Specialties' and the other is the 'Le Premium Cuts'. So what's the difference?
The 'Le Premium Cuts' the higher end premium grade cuts of meat which also means they're priced higher. It's not to say that 'Le Steak Specialties' cuts are not good cuts... But the reality is that they have different grade of meat.

Australian Wagyu Ribeye MS6 ($48.00)
Wagyu beef is undoubtedly the toppest of the tops when it comes to meat and one of the best premium cuts anywhere you go to have steak. Special attention to your cows = better meat and apparently there are none better than Wagyu.

What exactly is MS6 though?
MS stands for Marbling Score and 6 is the score this meat is graded on a scale of 1-12.
The higher the score, the better the meat.

This is actually the most expensive steak on the menu so we thought we'd give it a try!


Dad. Mein Bruder and Yana had the Wagyu and it was pretty okay. You can definitely tell it's a premium grade meat with a fair amount of fat in the meat. Seasoning was pretty okay too actually. The only gripe we has is that we though the steak would be a thicker cut.

They actually ordered their meat to be cooked 'Medium Rare' but as you can see, it was closer to 'Medium'. Hmmmmm....

PS Ribeyer ($28.90)

Mum had the PS Ribeye which is under the 'Le Steak Specialties' category.
Again, the seasoning of the steak was fine which gave it a nice flavour but you can still enjoy the flavour of the beef which we look for when we enjoy steak.

Mashed potatoes were a bit disappointing though.

Prime Tenderloin ($28.90)


I've always been very fussy about my steak (like pretty much all my food) and even though I may not be a purist or an expert when it comes to steak, I guess I at least know how to enjoy the food I like.

This was not the worst steak I've ever had (believe me I've had worse...) but I guess maybe I was expecting more? Or maybe I was disappointed because....


When you go to a place called Le Steak, I'm gonna assume they specialize in cooking steak.
And I know that the preferred for most steak purists is 'Medium Rare' or maybe even 'Medium Well' at most. Well, I'm a 'Well Done' kind of guy and when I ask for 'Well Done', I expect to be served meat that is cooked 'Well Done'.

Err.... that is not Well Done.

Dutch MilkFed Veal Rack ($35.90)
My Darling Wife made the genius decision of trying something new and ordered the veal!
And it was a good decision too because the veal was excellent! It was tender and succulent and juicy and definitely worth its price in the ''Le Premium Cuts' category.


She asked for a 'Medium Well' and it was cooked for the most part but not evenly.
But I agree with her that the veal was definitely better than the steaks (somehow).

Le Steak also has items like Burgers, Pasta, Chicken and Seafood dishes in case steak is not your thing. And don't forget the Braised Short Ribs like the one I had the last time.

Goody Waffle with Maple Syrup and 1 Scoop of Ice-Cream ($7.90)
So this was a crispy/crunchy waffle FYI. I actually find it very plain despite the ice-cream and the maple syrup. Maybe they might consider throwing some whipped cream on there and maybe a cherry on top to make it a little more... well... standard.

Chocolate Lava with Vanilla Ice-Cream ($10.90)
**This item no longer available**
You guys know what a Chocolate Lava Cake is right? The cake where they have molten chocolate in the middle so when they heat it up, it will flow out like molten lava when you dig into the moist chocolate cake.


Err..... where's the lava???
Definitely not what we were expecting. Unless we were expecting a big disappointment.
The Chocolate Cake (or more like muffin) was okay but hey where's the lava???

Creme Brulee ($6.90)
After what looked to be one of the more disappointing meals in quite awhile, thankfully we got some respite with the Creme Brulee.

It was just the right amount of sweet and creamy too.


There are even little bits of raspberries in there which give you a nice tart contrast to the sweet and creamy custard. Definitely the best thing we had that evening!

Adam's Verdict:
Prime Tenderloin 1.5/5 -- Goody Waffle 1.5/5 -- Chocolate Lava with Vanilla Ice-Cream 0.5/5

Creme Brulee 4/5
Maryah's Verdict:
Dutch MilkFed Veal Rack 4/5 -- Goody Waffle 3/5

Chocolate Lava with Vanilla Ice-Cream 2.5/5

Azlan's Verdict:
Australian Wagyu Ribeye MS6 2/5 -- Chocolate Lava with Vanilla Ice-Cream 1/5

Creme Brulee 3/5

Yana's Verdict:
Australian Wagyu Ribeye MS6 2/5 -- Goody Waffle 2/5 -- Creme Brulee 3/5


Dad's Verdict:
Australian Wagyu Ribeye MS6 3/5

Mum's Verdict:
Australian Wagyu Ribeye MS6 2.5/5


I have read many reviews about Le Steak. Some good and some not so good. But that's pretty usual I guess with any eating establishment. I did however agree with some of the reviews I read about the staff at Le Steak.

No, we didn't get any rude or snide remarks like other diners apparently encountered but it was pretty obvious that they were not trained very well and lacked initiative. I wouldn't say it was a very busy night at Le Steak but the wait staff not only seemed to be taking their time but also at least they can take notice and speed it up when someone calls you for assistance right?

Oh well, can't really blame them because they look like they are part-timers anyways but it really is a big turn off when you meal is not up to your expectations and the staff there make the experience all the more dreadful.

I know there's more on the menu but I'm not sure if we will ever got back to Le Steak again.

image from http://steakandco.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/degrees2.jpg
And just so you know why we were unhappy with the done-ness of our steak, check out the shart above and tell me if you think we got what we ordered.

Maybe next time we should request for Chef Amri to cook our steak. LOL just kidding.

Le Steak

248 Jalan Kayu

Tel: 65563588
www.lesteak.com.sg

Operating Hours:
3.00pm til 11.00pm (Mondays to Fridays)
12.00pm til Midnight (Saturdays & PH Eve)
12.00pm til 11.00pm (Sundays and PH)


No comments:

Post a Comment