We have moved!

We have moved!

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Yip's by Andik Nurdiany

So we received a message awhile back to visit a makan place called Yip's.

Apparently 'Yip's Cookies & More' had been around for years before the current Chef De Patisserie (aka Makan Mastermind), Andik Nurdiany, took over to continue the fine art of the tasty pastry and original mouth-watering creations baked freshly on-site!!

One fine day after a check-up, we finally had the chance to sample some tasty treats.

Chilli Ikan Bilis Puff ($2.00)
We started off with something that I seem to have taken a liking to recently - Sambal Ikan Bilis!
And it's not that often I find something unique that incorporates this spicy-sweet favourite of many.

The pastry itself was simply marvelous. As a Home Ec student myself in secondary school, I know how much work it takes to perfect your pastry making and we're talking about professional baking here. Light and buttery (not oily) flavour once you chomp down. Loads of Ikan Bilis to keep you company.


And for those of you who get worried when the words 'Sambal' and 'Chilli' appear, don't worry.
The description says 'Spice - MILD' so you can breathe a sigh of relief. The Sambal Ikan Bilis is full of flavour but will not burn your mouth off.

In fact, I'd say it was more on the sweet side than the spicy side.

Tom Yam Chicken Puff ($2.00)
As most of you probably know by now, I love Thai food and my darling wife follows suit.
So how exactly do you expect us to not try something that has TOM YAM in the name???

And they really don't fool around with the Tom Yam. I guessing it's something they concocted because this is potent stuff. Tom Yam flavour definitely shoots through!


Shredded chicken meat bursting with Tom Yam flavour.
But like the Chilli Ikan Bilis Puff, you might consider sharing with someone unless you're really hungry.

I'm a greedy guy but even I shared because I wanted to have enough space to try a little bit of everything.

Lo Bo Ping aka Sweetheart Cake ($1.30)
Yip's doesn't just offer only savoury pastries by the way.
They have a wide variety of pastries to satisfy anyone who has a sweet-tooth.

One good example is the Lo Bo Ping which I have only read about or seen other people eating because I had never come across a Halal version until we visited Yip's!! Now I've finally got my chance to try this HK-style pastry!


It is basically a pastry-cake with winter melon and sesame seed filling.

The filling is not overly sweet and very subtle. In fact, I thought it tasted more like pumpkin seed than sesame seed with the winter melon. The pastry was light and flaky and literally crumbled as I brought it to my mouth.
I'm not sure why they call it 'Sweetheart Cake' though... Anyone have any stories to share?? :)

Orange and Cranberry Muffin ($1.20)
Looking for some Western flavours instead?
Yip's actually has cookies, tartlets, eclairs, brownies and even muffins for you!

We could not resist trying the Orange and Cranberry Muffin. Too tempting!
The orange flavour (and aroma) was very prominent with every bite of the muffin and you'll get some cranberries every few bites. The muffin itself was moist and soft!

Definitely recommend to try this one!!

Adam's Verdict:
Chilli Ikan Bilis Puff 4/5 -- Tom Yam Puff 3/5 -- Lo Bo Ping 3.5/5
Orange and Cranberry Muffin 4.5/5

Maryah's Verdict:
Chilli Ikan Bilis Puff 4/5 -- Tom Yam Puff 3/5 -- Lo Bo Ping 2.5/5
Orange and Cranberry Muffin 3.5/5

Yip's by Andik Nurdiany has been featured in the media so many times I'm not sure how we managed to miss out on this gem tucked away in a little corner.

And even though we had received this tip so long ago, it took us quite awhile to finally visit because we east-dwellers seldom traveled to the area. But with regular check-ups at the nearby Thomson Medical Centre coming up for us, we're definitely dropping by again soon!

I can even tell you what's on my radar...
Their famous Chicken Curry Puff, Barbeque Chicken Puff, Creamy Mushroom Puff and Portugese Egg Tarts!

Yip's by Andik Nurdiany

10 Sinaran Drive
Novena Square 2 #B117-119

Tel: 6440 7887 / 8233 0073
www.yips.sg

Operating Hours:
7.00am til 9.00pm (Mondays to Saturdays)
8.00am til 9.00pm (Sundays and Public Holidays)

No comments:

Post a Comment