We have moved!

We have moved!

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Dough Culture

You know what is my favourite part of eating Rojak?
The You Tiao.

In fact, some times I just skip the Rojak and just order the You Tiao on it's own.
Maybe a little Tau Pok thrown in but I'm sure you will agree with me - The You Tiao rocks the most.
How many of you are guilty of leaving the other pieces like the turnip, pineapple and cucumbers alone and attack the You Tiao first and before long it's all gone.

I'm willing to say at least 9 out of 10 people do that!!!

Well anyways I've misled you long enough.
This post actually is not about Rojak at all. It's about You Tiao.


You Tiao ($1.20 each)

I remember when we were kids, we used to get You Tiao (or Yu Char Kway) for breakfast most of the time on weekends. We stayed at Eunos and our maid would go down to the market on weekends and buy You Tiao and soya bean milk. And we learned from our parents to soak the You Tiao in our mug of coffee and let it soak up the liquid before taking a big wet chomp. Works well with soya bean milk too! Good memories.

Well the humble You Tiao is basically just fried dough sticks.
I used to watch them make it at the Bedok South Food Centre in the early hours of Sunday mornings when I went to buy breakfast for my family.

It's not just about rolling out the dough and then cutting it out. It's also about the actual frying of the dough and how it puffs up to form the finished product.

Well, you may not be able to see them make it up close at Dough Culture, but they do make some pretty good You Tiao I can tell you that much.

The dough was puffy and had a good bite to it. The outside was very crisp and it was overall a very delicious piece of dough. It's also obvious from the picture above that they're actually longer than the normal ones you might see around. (No, it's not just the camera angle)

But the one thing I simply must mention is that the You Tiao was really oily.
Maybe it's because we got it literally fresh out of the fryer but I'm not sure if leaving it to rest would make any much more of a difference than having it quickly after frying.

Butterfly Buns ($0.90 each)

Dough Culture also sells other fried goodies like Butterfly Buns (above), Salty Buns etc.
Unfortunately we decided to try the other pastries another time.

But... the one thing I had initially decided to pass on, I finally bought at the last minute.
And this was simply because everyone in the line seemed to be ordering it. So it must be damn good right??

Tow Suan ($2.00)

I actually have quite a soft spot for Tow Suan. I think I got it from my Dad who also loves the stuff.
The problem we find with a lot of Tow Suan is the consistency. Some places, it's too thick. Other places, it's too watery. But Dough Culture seems to make it just right.

Very fluid consistency without being too watery.
With some You Tiao on top, this was definitely a good bowl of Tow Suan!!

Adam's Verdict:
You Tiao 3/5 -- Tow Suan 4/5

Maryah's Verdict:
You Tiao 3.5/5 

Ratings above are for the You Tiao on its own.
If added to Rojak, please add 1 point to the rating :P

So the humble You Tiao has so many functions.
But whether it's on your Tow Suan or soaking up the goodness in your Rojak, I think it's safe to say that we all love these simple fried sticks of dough.

Dough Culture has a few outlets located at Causeway Point, City Square, Changi City Point, Nex Mall and also Northpoint.


Dough Culture

Causeway Point
1 Woodlands Square #01-K08

http://www.doughculture.com.sg/

Operating Hours: 9.00am-8.30pm daily

No comments:

Post a Comment